Tuesday, October 27, 2015

SALMON SEASON 2015

The 2015 salmon season was very interesting from the start. Several fisherman attested to the fact that they have never seen salmon run so late in the season. On average salmon start running in small schools earlier in the season, followed by a large run and then tapering off. This year there was minimal to no small runs earlier in the season.

My favorite fishing spot at the dam took a different turn this year as well. The two land owners around the dam decided to fence off the land charge people to fish there. I have fished this spot for 4 years now and it was disappointing to shell a large amount of money to fish there. Furthermore, I have only fished for salmon in that spot and in the past only traveled no more than 4 times a season. Although both owners said that steelhead and brown trout can be caught in the early winter and early spring in that creek. I am still debating if I will actually try fishing for trout in that area. Fly fishing would be the better choice, however its something that I haven't mastered yet.

Salmon began there run a far a few days of heavy rain in mid October. I went fishing on the 14th and caught 2 at the dam. I was the only person fishing there. Solo fishing makes landing the fish a bit more challenging but not impossible.

Over the past few years, rarely would I go fishing alone. Most of the time I had a family member or friend come along. And it made for a more pleasant fishing trip. After my first trip, I decided to take my father along, since he had always wanted to see how salmon fishing goes. It was very nice to spend some time with him as well as get his help in netting the fish.

Before the second trip, it had rained even more and the creek levels rose to heights I have never seen before. Although my fishing friends who introduced me to the creek have seen chest high levels. This time the water was thigh high. There were at least 20-30 fish in the hole and therefore it made for an interesting fishing experience. A couple of the fish made a run downstream and it made for a more challenging fight but it was nice to have my dad downstream to net it.


On the third and final trip, another fisherman was at the dam when we started. He was a pleasant individual and offered some good fishing tips. We maxed out in less than an hour and headed home. The other fisherman was done at least 20 minutes before us.

It was one of my earlier times to max out, so my dad and I drove up to Pulaski to have the fished cleaned. To our surprise all of the fishing stations were closed except one near the 81 South on-ramp. It was also nice to see all of the cleaning stations charging the same amount $3/fish. We also ended up getting some roe for caviar.

Overall it was a successful fishing season but not fully satisfactory because of fishing restrictions at the dam. Before next season it would be nice to find a new fishing spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment