Thursday, May 31, 2018

WHEN IN NEW ORLEANS, LA: LODGING AND DINING

The nature of my trip to New Orleans was 90% work related with the remaining time available for some pleasure. So I wanted to be as close as possible to the Convention Center, strictly for convenience. It was short, just under 30 minute ride from the MSY Airport to the business sector of New Orleans.





Honesty hurts some of the time

Mercedes-Benz Super Dome: Home of the Saints

The stay at Hampton Inn and Suites was great with clean rooms, prompt service, and nice pool as a bonus which I never had the chance to use. The best part of the stay was the complimentary continental breakfast which had a nice Belgian waffle maker and good coffee. It's the simple things that matter, the convenience of not searching for another place to eat, especially first thing in the morning. 


Spectacular view: "I didn't ask for a better one"

Right across the street there is a nice little park dedicated to someone famous, that several people from the hotel used as a track to add to their miles of running. In front of the park was a really neat monument as tribute to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. 



WOOD PIZZA BISTRO AND TAPHOUSE


First day in a new town, the safest place to eat is a local pizzeria. Even the worst pizza can still be eaten. Fortunately, NOLA is known for its great food, including this pizzeria and bar. I quickly noticed that most restaurants had some synonym of the word "bar" in their name. This place was a quick find on Google and it was a 5 minute walk on a very rainy evening.

Later that night I found out on the news that because of that evening's rain there was major flooding in several parts of the city. The reason for the flooding was later explained by my swamp kayaking guide who said that NOLA is below sea level. Three hundred years ago when New Orleans was founded, the area was drained and built on because that sounded like a "very wise" idea. And they have had problems ever since. The smaller amount of rain usually floods some part of the city. 

TWO CHICKS CAFE


Just two blocks away from the hotel, I found this place just before they closed for a late lunch. Based solely on observation this place only had female employees and my next assumption is that the owners may be two women as well. I was seated quickly and found some great options on the menu, most of them were very healthy creations. So I started with a healthy ham and cheese sandwich with horseradish which gave it a nice kick. The second choice wasn't as healthy but really delicious Nutella and strawberry crepes. All washed down with the best NOLA swamp filtered water with a lemon. Three  hours into my trip I quickly realized I'm going to miss my twice filtered house water (AquaOx Whole House filter and Berkey filter). 



CAFE DU MONDE

Before coming to New Orleans, several people recommneded that I have to try the beignets (pronounced Ben-yays). And so I did and I was really glad I didn't buy 10 but only three. Let me summarize the experience: fried dough with a ton of confectioners sugar. Nothing special or exciting, because the best fried dough is sold at the local NY State Fair every year.



EL GATO NEGRO

Amazing Mexican food on this side of the border. This may be the best Mexican food I have eaten in my entire life, so far. At this place, the waitress recommended El Macho Man Combo, which included the following things: 1 beef, 1 chicken, and 1 three cheese enchiladas; pork tamale; chorizo quesadilla with sour cream and guacamole. The entire entree was a great sampler of a few really delicious Spanish dishes. The one thing that stood out the most was the salsa that was served with tortilla chips before the entree. The salsa was so good that I wanted to take some home but they didn't sell it.



THE CORNER OYSTER CAFE

By day 3 of my trip, I was ready to have some authentic southern food and I went on a search for something that will catch my eye on the menu. The corner cafe enticed me with grilled garlic oysters and gator bites. Quite honestly I could have eaten another dozen of the oysters. The gator bites are best described as, "it tastes like chicken." 



MULATE'S

Over the last few days I passed this place a few times on my way to the French Quarter and decided to try it out. I was in a crawfish kind of mood and decided to go with the Cajun Triple Play Platter which included golden fried crawfish tails, crawfish au gratin, and crawfish etouffee. The sides were homemade Cole slaw and a twice baked potato. Every part of the entree was a new and pleasant first time experience. I also couldn't skip out on the bread pudding with a bourbon glaze. 






COCHON

Cochon means "domestic pig" in French. Fifty yards from the building, my mouth started to water because there was a strong smell of smoked wood from the smoker. The inside aroma was even better, a smoked meat flavor. My entree choice was pulled pork with a twice baked potato. The meat was delicious but the potato was not very impressive. The meat was spicey and so was the potato but when eaten together it was too spicey. 



The overall food experience was awesome. However, it's not the healthiest of choices for eating every day. So a once in a great while was perfect.  



No comments:

Post a Comment