Friday, May 19, 2017

KAYAKING THE ONONDAGA CREEK AGAIN!

A few years ago I took the trip down the river with a friend in my double kayak and it wasn't as thrilling as I thought it could be due to shallower water levels. With good weather and high water, I decided to give it a try again, this time using single kayaks. Its always more fun going with a friend and so I went with Paul J.


Paul has a nice advantage to this kayaking trip, his backyard backs up to the creek. I dropped off my kayak at his house and we dropped of the truck at the Inner Harbor.

At the put-in I joked about going up river to explore, but as soon as we entered the creek, the paddle upstream was very difficult. 


Very early into the trip we came across some standing ways about 2-3 ft, although it was fun, I took on quite a bit of water into the kayak and got nicely soaked from my waist down. We experienced another set of waves at the next narrow point. Unfortunately my kayak has a flat nose front and instead of the breaking the waves it dips into the wave and then the water continues into the cockpit. 


We had a small tree floating across the entire creek. As we both approached the tree and lifted it at the same time, the strong current continued to pull and tip over the kayaks. It was a borderline capsizing moment. Both of us also experienced some really strong undertow currents that forced us to ram into the bank and nearly capsize again. So overall there was definitely some adrenaline filled moments. 

As we paddled closer to the harbor we came across some observers at the bridges. There were several people at the harbor enjoying the nice weather. 

On my last run down the creek a few years back the weather was a lot cooler and I never got a chance to paddle out to the lake. So with plenty of time on our hands we made our way past Destiny and into the eastern part of the lake. 


The lake was very calm with a mild breeze. There were plenty of water fowl resting on the old dock infrastructure protruding from the water. 












TRIP STATS
Distance: 4.8 miles to the inner harbor; another mile round trip to the lake
Duration: 41 minutes to the inner harbor
Weather: low 70's; partly cloudy
Difficulty: moderate (expert in some parts)

TRIP YOUTUBE VIDEO CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment