Thursday, May 9, 2013

JERKY RECIPE


There are very few people who don't like beef jerky. Venison jerky on the other hand is great tasting and very expensive if purchased online or retails stores (there is jerky store in Lake Placid, NY). But the nice thing about making your own is that it's relatively inexpensive and a very simple making process.

People have been making jerky for years and there are many available jerky recipes online and stores like Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mountain, and Dicks Sporting Goods. These stores sell premixed ingredients for many flavors and they can last for several times. So my theory is if the jerky tastes good then why go through the prep. I've tried a recipe that I had to do from scratch and the premixed one tasted a lot better. 

Cure: is provided in the premixed boxes. Should the cure be used in the making of jerky? The reason for using the cure is to help preserve the meat for a longer period of time. When I make jerky I usually make at least 10lbs at once and therefore I can't eat that much prior to it spoiling. And people that you share it with won't mind having it around for a few days to enjoy. 

The Hi Mountain seasoning that I have tried are: Mesquite, Cajun, and Original. My favorite so far is Mesquite. I am looking forward to trying out some new flavors after this coming fall hunting season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment