Wednesday, June 5, 2013

THE BRISKET DONE WELL!

The Meat: there are 3 different cuts of meat: the "flat", the "point", and untrimmed which is both cuts. If  I was going to use the untrimmed the meat would be around 15-20 lbs. So I bought the flat cut at a local grocery store which weighed 7 lbs. Look for the most marbled meat. Next thing that you want to do is trim off all of the fat that surrounds the meat itself.

Injection: this is an important step of the process. I used Myron's recipe which includes the following ingredients: water, beef bullion powder, and beef broth. Next I used a stainless steel injector to inject the marinade throughout the cut of meat. The meat was then allowed to sit in the fridge over night for about 7 hrs.

Rub: I decided to make my own rub because Myron's recipe called for many spicy ingredients which my family and I didn't favor too much. So my recipe includes the following:

2 Tbsp black pepper ground
1 Tbsp dried onion
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp powdered sugar

The rub was liberally applied to all sides of the meat. Then I set the meat into an aluminum single use pan.

Smoker: I preheated the smoker to 350 degrees F while I was making and applying the rub. I set a basin of water and wood chips inside to warm up as well. Then I set the meat with the temperature probe in the thickest portion of the cut.

Wood Chips: for the first time I used Mesquite.

Cooking: the meat was cooked at 350, well my smoker never reached that temp after the meat was inserted. But it was consistent at 250-260 F. Cook the meat for 2.5 hrs. Then remove the meat and place into a new pan and this time covering it up with foil. Cook for an additional 1.5 hrs or until it reaches an internal temp of 205 degrees F.

Myron recommended wrapping the meat in a blanket, so I used an old towel instead which was sufficient to hold the heat. The idea is to allow the meat to sit in its own juices before serving for about 1 hr. I had plenty to share so we invited my side of the family for dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment