Sunday, June 2, 2013

TIOGHNIOGA RIVER PADDLE

Launch site: Yaman Park in Cortland, NY

Weather: Late May, 60's; partly cloudy

Kayak: Eagle Run 12'

Classification: Moderate

The decision to do this trip happened last minute, when the plans for Memorial Day weekend drastically changed and the opportunity presented itself. There were a couple things that I wanted to do prior to the trip which included getting a spray skirt and having a specific place to land in Whitney Point. However, I decided to go ahead with it anyways. 

Yaman Park is a great place to launch. Very easy to find when coming off of I-81 South. The launching area is partly grass and gravel with a little dock. It's not immediately on the river but in a little cove so the water current is minimal. 

After loading the gear into the kayak and starting my MAPMYRIDE app, the trip started out smoothly. The kayak conditions were very favorable because with NW winds at 20 mph, temperature in the 60's, and a fair current. It quickly became warm and I had to take off my light wind breaker.

The river winding through portions of Cortland then alongside farm pastures on the left and a railroad on the right. Some parts run alongside Rt. 11. The river between Cortland and Marathon was interesting and scenic. There were Class I rapids around turns and a couple Class II rapids on some straight runs. It was my first time in any kind of rapids and there is a slight learning curve of how to maneuver through them that I had to figure out. Towards the end of the trip I felt more confident.

I stopped about 12 miles into the trip for a 10 min break to stretch the legs and get off the butt. It would be nice to have a softer seat next time. Maybe a "donut" will work. My next stop was in Marathon right before Main Street bridge. There was a rocky/sand bar which was easy landing and launching site.

In Marathon I made the decision to continue paddling to Whitney point which was an additional 10 miles. I had plenty of snacks for the trip and my water supply was still good. A mile or two beyond Marathon, I quickly realized that it was going to be a boring part of the paddle. It was more wilderness with many long straight runs, minimal rapids, and not that scenic. Also I started to get a muscle spasm around both elbows. The current was still strong and I ended up taking more breaks and allowing the current to carry me along. My app indicated that without paddling, I was moving at 4.6 mph. When paddling it registered at 5.5 mph.

Along most the route there was plenty of wildlife which consisted of water fowl such as Canadian Geese, Ducks, and Herons.

Approaching Whitney Point, I-81 bridges cross the river once again. After the bridges I had researched on Google Earth that there was a grassy area not to far from a main road through town. However, never before traveling through that area. I wasn't certain where I was going to conclude my trip. It turned out easier than expected and the grassy area running alongside Main Street was the perfect spot. I pulled my kayak to the corner of Main St and Rt 11, which also has a HESS gas station. My ride was able to easily locate the place and it was really easy to load the kayak there.

Total Distance: 25.2 miles
Total Time: 4.5 hrs
Average Speed: 5.4 mph
Calories Burned: 1700


No comments:

Post a Comment