Monday, June 3, 2013

THE TIOGHNIOGA RIVER

For about 10 years I have been driving past the Tioghnioga River that runs from Truxton, NY South to Chenango River through Cortland, Marathon, and Whitney Point. And each time I would dream of kayaking some portion of it just for fun. I launched in Yaman Park in Cortland, NY right off of I-81. The launching site has a little dock and grassy area that is great for kayaks and rafts. There was a group with 3 rafts setting out to Marathon. These bridges of I-81 mark the start of the trip.

Another good stopping point is Marathon, NY. The river runs along several sports fields and there is a nice sandy place to land. There was a group of kayakers resting on the grassy bank during my trip. This is a shorter trip of about 15 miles. It could probably be done in around 3 hrs. 

If a challenge is desired then paddling to Whitney Point could easily be added to the trip. With good conditions the trip can be achieved in an additional hour. Just beyond the I-81 bridges in Whitney Point is the landing spot I used also seen in the next photo. The corner at the landing spot is Rt. 11 and Main Street in Whitney Point which is also a mile or so from 1-81.  



No comments:

Post a Comment