Sunday, November 3, 2013

BROTHERS HUNT: DEER # 2

It's always more exciting to get a buck then a doe! Maybe it's a male thing--male vs. male! Or it's just a hunters phenomena! But once again my brother got a nice buck. It want a trophy buck and definely not wall mountable but the rack still looked nice: a 5 pointer!

The hunt: bow hunting in aluminum tree stand. Shot at 25 yards. It was a nice clean shot to the vitals. My brother said he actually saw where he fell before heading to get the truck and camera. I was home that Saturday so it was my pleasure helping my brother get the deer. It was also an opportunity to try out my F & S 1000 Thinsulate boots. The buck ended up running into the swamy area on the boarder of my parents property. He was laying in about a foot of water. It actually made good picture. 

After some nice pictures we knew we would have to haul him out of the water before we could gut it. Straneous but a quick haul to the truck. Once on the truck it was a straight shot up the hill to the barn. But it didn't turn out to be as straight forward as anticipated. Lots of rain the night before and bald tires didn't make a good combination. We got stuck in the field. So we just hauled the deer on foot. That wasn't the fun part. After gutting it, hanging it, and skinning it we were ready for a break. 

The lungs revealed a double lung shot. 

The next day after nicely cooling the meat, my brother and I butchered the meat and bagged it in about 1.5 hrs. We had a rough estimate of about 60 lbs of meat for jerky and sausage. 

Congratulations little brother on another big one! 



No comments:

Post a Comment