Thursday, October 10, 2013

SAMMIE SEASON!

A hobby I picked up a couple years ago when my friends took my salmon fishing on Lake Ontario. The adrenaline rush of reeling in a 30 pounder salmon got me hooked as well. Since then I started to go to the river also with the same friends. The river is a different beast in itself but fun never-the-less.

My friends introduced me to there secret fishing holes which have only brought great catches and fun time to me and my family. This year, however, the river levels have been lower than usual and our secret spots have not seen salmon yet but the Big River (Salmon River) in Pulaski has proved to be good old faithful. The pattern of fish hitting the rivers this year has been unusual because of the warm water temperatures so they have been trickling in over the past month. But they are still going strong in Lake Ontario at 200 ft. 

This past weekend my friends and I tried all of our favorite spots with not success, so we decided to head to the crowded Mama River. It was a new experience for me and I was eager to check it out. Crowded it was but there was plenty of fish to go around. Within 5 minutes of stepping into the rushing water, one of our guys had a fish on! I brought my fish net so I ended up being the guy who helps everyone reel in the fish as opposed to getting some fishing done myself. But I did pick up on some tricks and tips to use at a later trip. We stayed 3 hrs and between the 4 of us we had 5 good looking fish. Three of us actually kept the fish because we either bake or smoke and it's some good eating. 




No comments:

Post a Comment