Wednesday, July 3, 2013

COOKING CHICKEN IN CUPCAKE FORMS!

So on first thought, whats so hard about placing chicken into cupcake forms? Myron describes using shears to remove the knuckle on each end of the chicken thighs in order to make it the perfect size for the form. However, I paid a visit to the local grocery store which had Organic Chicken thighs already cut to the perfect size. This way I didn't have to waste any chicken and saved some time. Trim any access skin so that only a nice sized up pieced of skin covers the top.

CUPCAKE MOLDS (FORMS): I bought 2 molds that hold 6 each. Then I used a drill to make holes in the bottom for the grease and juices to drain.

Heat a smoker to 300 degrees F.

I made my own chicken rub which included powdered sugar, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. I simply placed the thighs into the rub and covered both sides. Then the thighs were placed into the molds SKIN SIDE down.

A drizzle of chicken broth was poured into the molds as well. Try not to pour it directly onto the chicken so the rub doesn't get washed off.

I used Peach wood chips for the smoke. Cook uncovered for 1.5 hrs.

Removed from smoker and flip each piece, this time with the skin up and return back to smoker for 45 min. The pieces are small and they cook relatively fast. Smoked chicken will be more moist then grilled or fried chicken.

The night before I had made a Hickory Sauce to use as a glaze. It was my first time making a bbq sauce and it was enjoyable. The sauce includes the following ingredients: onion powder, garlic powder, ketchup, smoked paprika, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, kosher salt, black pepper. All this was mixed and heated in a sauce pan until hot but not boiled. It has a sweet and tangy taste. My guest loved it a lot!! I had made some extras and will use it with other meals.

Remove the chicken again from the smoker and glaze the thighs with the hickory sauce and place back into the smoker for 30 min. so that the sauce can caramelize to the skin.

Finally remove the chicken and serve immediately. Great recipe Myron Mixon!!

I had some extra rub left over, an empty shelf in the smoker, and more people coming to the party so I decided to make some smoked chicken thighs but this time whole pieces. Also turn out really tasty.




No comments:

Post a Comment