Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A NEW EXPERIENCE: CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING


This past weekend while attending a Winter Retreat at Camp-of-the-Woods in Speculator, NY with our church youth group I had the awesome opportunity to do some cross-country skiing. Although it was a frigid day I had an awesome time.



Fifteen years ago my uncle gave me a few pairs of some really old cross-country ski's and so I decided to try out in the field behind my parents house. I thought it was a thrill but looking back it was a very limited experience because I didn't have the proper equipment.

(Left) Josh (Right) Mark

This time around, equipped with good ski's, boots, ski clothing, and good company it was something I would do again. The retreat is located on Lake Pleasant, which is frozen this time of the year, so we decided to try skiing on it. Mark, Josh, and myself were on cross-country ski's for the first time so it was a slow start but after about 30 minutes we were moving along on the lake. 






It was late afternoon, just before sunset, so our views were spectacular. I had to pause several times to enjoy the views and take a few photos. It was also a great opportunity to do some silhouette shooting. 



Initially when we started skiing towards the lake it was very windy but upon reaching the lake the winds calmed down. So we skied across the lake to the farthest point of the retreat. Then we entered the camping area along a road and made our way back to the Mud Room to return our ski gear.




No comments:

Post a Comment