Friday, May 13, 2016

RAMPS: A SPRING DELICACY OF THE WOODS!

When a fellow woodsman asked me a few weeks ago, "Did you pick any ramps?" I had no idea what he was speaking about. And thats how my Ramp Journey began. After doing some research and back woods snooping around, my parents property of course, I came out empty handed. So after getting some ramps from a friend, I decided to revisit my parents property and check it out again. This time I ran into a few large patches of ramps. There were some very young and others were nice and large. 


So what are ramps? Essentially it's a wild onion. Sometime's its referred to as wild leeks. However, it has a balanced mixture of garlic and onion. 


They have been around for hundreds of years and their popularity has grown rapidly over the past 25 years. The Cherokee Indians as well as the people of recent Appalachia have enjoyed them for decades. It grows in Eastern Canada and United States. 

Little did I know that people go crazy over this wonderful little plant. The New York City chefs covet them on their spring menus. In Quebec, the government banned all picking, which resulted in a black market for ramps. 


They grow for a few short weeks in the spring, in wooded areas. The plants like moisture and more likely to be found near streams, swamps, and low lands. These wild plants grow very slowly, taking up to four years to flower and reproduce. 


Just like with every good thing, many people don't understand limitations or outcomes over picking which have made ramps extinct in many parts of their natural habitat. When picking, large patches should be picked, and sparingly so that reproduction can take place.  


I was able to find a few large clusters. It was fascinating to see how integrated that root system was. 


(Colleague set me a photo from Wegmans)

When cleaning them, rinse off all of the dirt with cold water. Gently peel the outer layer of the bulb, it comes off easily with using fingers. Then cut the roots off at the lower bulb.


Just like onions, you can use ramps in many different ways. I decided to try grilling them. All I did was sprinkle some olive oil and a few dashes of salt just enough so that the leaves and bulbs were covered lightly. 


Preheat heat the grill on medium, and after the ramps were placed on the grill I turned the heat down to low to prevent charring. Then cook until leaves are wilted and bulbs are turning a brownish color. 



After grilling, I chopped the leaves and bulbs up and placed the chopped leftovers in a glass container. They easily stayed in the fridge for a week as we enjoyed them here and there.  

We enjoyed them on some goat cheese and ciabatta bread. 


We also had some homemade burger a few days later, so it was nice to add some ramps on the meat. 


Trying to be conservative but also wanted to try out some other uses for ramps, I found a nice pickling recipe. The pickling juice turned out so delicious that my wife and I were tempted to just drink it. We may have had a sip or two! They are currently in the fridge. Can't wait to open them up after 2-3 weeks of marinating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment