Wednesday, May 1, 2013

MEAT PREP FOR SAUSAGE & JERKY




When making sausage and jerky, I usually take a few days to do it because of the curing and seasoning process. There will be multiple posts following as I go through the prep and smoking process.

After the deer meat is butchered and packed into freezer paper and plastic bag, I keep it in the freezer for at least 2 months to kill off any lingering bacteria.

I allow at least 12-24 hrs for the meat to thaw out, but not waiting to long because then it will begin to spoil if it gets too warm. I like to trim off the some connective tissue left over from the butchering process and clean the meat up a little more. Then I cut up the meat into 1-2 inch cubes even if didn't thaw out completely.

If I'm doing the cutting and the grinding by myself, it's easier to get all the meat cut into cubes and then grind it all together. Cover it with plastic then set it back into the refrigerator. During this process it's important to quickly move through the cutting and grinding to prevent the meat from getting too warm. I then allow it to stay in the fridge for about 12 hrs before curing and seasoning.

This time I using 25 lbs of deer meat from the 2012 hunting season to make sausage and jerky.

No comments:

Post a Comment