Friday, May 31, 2013

SMOKING PORK BUTT: THE PROCESS

Wood choices: anything will do but the better wood are the fruit ones. Fruit wood isn't that strong when compared to hickory, mesquite, and alder. Pork doesn't require strong smoke for a good taste as beef would.

This time I decide to use peach wood just like Myron Mixon. 

I have really enjoyed using apple wood, but after using peach wood I have a new favorite. 

After smoking the pork for 6 hrs in a pan with peach wood, I quickly transferred the meat into a clean pan and fill it about half way and cover with foil. If you have an electric smoker then you won't need to keep putting more wood chips. For the remaining time the meat should be cooked covered up. To monitor the internal temp, its nice to use a probe thermometer.

Cook meat until it hits an internal temp of 205 F. Near the end I uncover the meat take get more "bark" on the meat for 20-30 min and turn off the smoker allowing for the temp to fall. 

The meat is then removed from the smoker and I use insulted gloves to pull the meat. If its been properly cooked the bone practically comes out on its own. Then it's ready to be eaten. 





No comments:

Post a Comment