Thursday, May 30, 2013

PULLED PORK RECIPE

The easy part is choosing the pork butt. Although size can be decieving. I did some research to make sure that I wasn't going to be eating pulled pork for 2 months. A reasonable size for a family of 3-4 people can be a 6-8 lbs slab of meat. TIP: Look for marbled meat= layers of fat between meat through the whole piece.I have been getting my meat from local grocery store but I have thought about looking for a butcher shop to see if the meat is better and less expensive.

Next step is to trim off as much fat from around the cut of meat. Try not dig into the meat itself. 

I tried something different this time around. Instead of putting on the rub just prior to smoking it I put the rub on 24 hrs before, wrapping it in clear plastic wrap and setting into the fridge. 

Rub ingredients: light brown sugar, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, ground black pepper. (for details see Myron Mixon's Smokin' book)

Also the night before I like to prepare the injection marinade. Any extras can be kept in the fridge for up to one year. 

Injection marinade ingredients: apple juice, distilled white vinegar, sugar, salt (for details see Myron Mixons Smokin' book)

The following morning, early in the morning 5 am, I get the meat out to let it sit in room temperature while I to inject the meat with a marinade. It's also a good idea to get the smoker started so that it can reach the goal temperature of 250 F. 

Inject the meat generously, it's ok if the meat looks like its about to bust. Using a stainless injector is the way to do it very well and quickly. 

With the meat injected, the smoker temp at 250, I place the meat into a aluminum single use pan and set into the smoker. 

Cooking is a ratio of 1.5 hrs per pound of meat. So that can be a long day. But the reward is great!


No comments:

Post a Comment