Sunday, May 5, 2013

VENISON SAUSAGE RECIPE

Over the years my parents had made sausage before, but they never had a recipe written down. A couple years ago I began to research sausage recipes with the anticipation that one day I would like to make my own. I have to admit that I did find one that I like and it has been confirmed by my wife (most importantly) as well as other family members who sampled of the goodness.

All the credit goes to the recipe contributor on lets-make-sausage.com. The recipe title is King Deer Sausage. I did modify it ever so slightly to my palate's liking. I like the ratio of 3 lbs venison to 2 lbs pork shoulder. I prefer the shoulder to be ground as well because its easier to just mix in as opposed to grinding it up yourself.

Ingredients: kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, cayenne pepper, allspice, paprika, sage, ground mustard seed, cure, ice water. See website for specific ingredients.

Other recommended sausage recipes are: Summer Sausage and Maple Sausage.

After seasoning the meat I allow it to sit in the refrigerator for 24-48 hrs. It all depends how much time until I have to smoke it.

The next process is stuffing the meat into the casings.

No comments:

Post a Comment