Friday, October 24, 2014

SALMON FISHING 2014


Something different has been going on in the world of salmon fishing this year. Since I started salmon fishing 4 years ago, the salmon runs have been on the earlier side. In fact one year it was so early that I almost missed it all together. This year the run has finally started to become more progressive that earlier this month when it was going for 24 hrs and then significantly decreased for days before another short increase. I even contemplated skipping the salmon season all together this year because of a busy Fall. However, I decided to give it a try and see how it goes.

The outside temperature was a nice 47 degrees. No rain in the forecast, just a nice sunny day. It's always more enjoyable to go fishing with someone than by yourself, even though at the river you are amongst a nice crowd of people. So I made a few phone calls and a group of 5 people, including myself, expressed the same interest. I haven't been to "our favorite fishing spot" since last year but I have heard about the conditions and changes from other fisherman. So it was exciting to go back to a place where there have been good memories.

Arriving at the good ol' spot, there were more people already fishing than I have ever seen. But being the determined fisherman that I was, I made my way amongst the crowd and started casting. I stood between two guys that weren't too thrilled to have one more person close by and after a few minutes I decided that I it was time to go to a new spot. Meanwhile my fishing companions wondered further downstream to seek out better fishing grounds. I on the other hand went to the corner where no one wanted to fish. I have finished from that corner before and have been successive so I wasn't worried. It took me about 30 minutes or so before I caught my first fish and so the game was on.

While casting I had the wonderful opportunity to meet the guy standing next to me and we made small talk about work and fishing. After catching the second fish, the New Jersey fisherman started to look at my technique more and asked questions. So after changing out his hook for a larger one and showing him a different casting method, he had a "fish on" in 5 minutes. I caught another fish and maxed out but decided to continue fishing anyways since my buddies were still downstream. Meanwhile an elderly gentleman started fishing on the other side of me and asked if I would catch him a fish. After a few more casts the rest of the crew arrived with all of their fish and I decided to call it a day as well.

It was a successful day with 3 King Salmon's. I drove to Pulaski to get them cleaned and filleted.


While walking in to go down to the river I noticed a sign posted on the tree. It appears that there will be new rules for fishing that river in 2015. I might have to inquire to see if I can continue fishing at my favorite spot.


The amazing cook at our house, my wife, decided to try out a new recipe for baked salmon. It turned out to be a very delicious meal with white rice and a cucumber-tomato salad.







No comments:

Post a Comment